As easy as it is to go to the supermarket and buy fruits, it can be even easier to go to your backyard and pick one of your favorite fruit.
You don’t need to have an orchard or an ample yard space to grow fruit trees because they come in dwarf forms, and some trees can grow in containers. Before buying and planting a fruit tree, ensure that the tree will thrive in your area. When deciding on which fruit tree you want to grow, go to your local nursery and find out which is the best to grow.
Below you will find a list of fruit trees that you can plant just about anywhere.
- Apple trees- There are various apple plants to choose from, which can be overwhelming, but you can find out which one you can plant that works well in your area. The best type of apple tree to plant is Honeycrisp because it is sweet and crisp. They are medium-sized and can be picked and eaten off the tree.
- Lemon tree – these are an example of a dwarf tree because these trees are grafted from mature trees and placed on a dwarf rootstock. A Meyer lemon tree will bear fruit after one year of growth. If you live in a cold region, then because these trees can grow in a container, you can move that container inside your house or a warm area where the tree can survive. As a lemon tree matures, it will bear a lot more fruits. Lemons are green when they are young and yellow when they are ripe.
- Grapefruit tree – Grapefruit trees are easy to grow, but this tree needs excess sunlight for the fruit to get its bright color. But that does not mean that the fruit will not ripen. If you feel the fruit on the tree and it feels heavy, you can pick it.
- Apricot tree – These trees can also tolerate cold weather but be careful of winter frost because it can affect the Apricot tree’s bloom. The Apricot fruit is very sensitive, and therefore when you grow them, you can ensure that they grow unblemished. If you choose to grow sweet Apricots, you can plant Goldcot; it is suitable for growing in the colder climate and will bear fruit mid-season.
- Peartree – There are two types of pears Asian and European. The plant you choose to grow is entirely your decision. The European pear is soft, and the Asian pear is juicy and crisp to the taste. An example of a pear tree that you can grow is called Moonlight; it is a European pear with a strong flavor. When planting this pear tree, you will need to plant a pollinator with it.
There are a variety of fruit trees that you can plant at home. Choose which one you prefer, check the nursery in your area, and get information regarding the plant and go ahead and start planting.